The return of my sewing habit.
With hubby home the past few days and the Marianne Sew-along starting soon, I’ve decided to clear my garment sewing project list. I purchased this Derby Dress pattern a few months ago, as I’d been eyeing it since before the Emery Dress was released. It went together really quickly and I’d say even a beginning seamstress can easily put this dress together. No buttons or zippers, hip, hip, hooray!! Pockets, did I mention the dress has pockets?! I heart pockets.
It’s a swingy trapeze dress with matching fabric belt. The belt was the hardest part of the construction for me, since my minis decided to make off with my turning sticks and I didn’t discover it until they were snug in their beds. I ended up turning it with a blunt colored pencil. Improvisation at its finest.
Although, I knew the fabric, a stretch cotton, was going to be too stiff for the the dress, I had it on hand and decided it could serve as a wearable muslin of sorts. It is one of the few, the last I remember was in 2003, homemade pieces hubby actually likes; noting of course the stiffness of the fabric. I’m tempted to try and sew another out of cotton lawn or similar before Marianne starts; if only school was back in session already!
**Christine’s pattern sale is still on until the end of the month!**