I’d like to introduce my latest frock creation: Sylvie. A much anticipated pattern release from Christine Haynes. I love the direction she’s been going lately. Offering slimmer fit profiles; much more suited to my frame.
I had purchased fabric straight away, while anxiously awaiting my pattern, I ended up going back to get different fabric. A wonderful linen cotton blend in bright royal blue. I wanted something with a little more structure and also potentially to wear in some upcoming photos. More on that in a future late Summer post. Another purchase with this dress in mind: a tailor’s ham, which I can credit to the Sassy Librarian blouse, again by my gal Christine. (she doesn’t even know I’m calling her this. ha!)
I made this blouse several years ago when I discovered Craftsy and it was a DISASTER. It was the turning point for making a muslin (test garment) for me. Anyhow!! She talked a lot about this strange pressing item, a tailor’s ham. If you know me or have seen me up close, my clothes aren’t really on speaking terms with my iron. I despise ironing and it may possibly be my weakest domestic skill. No it is. Let’s call it what it is. I stink at ironing. I finally broke down and spent the $7 for this goodie and man oh man, I can’t believe I’ve went this long without one. Check out those darts!
And darts a plenty for this Sylvie dress. I did a fully lined version which took 32 darts to complete! I’m pretty good at darts I’d say. The pattern is a fairly quick sew, unless you attempt to displace your Boden goodies, fully line your dress, make your own seam binding and hand sew all the binding and hem. I felt a great sense of satisfaction at the completion of this dress. My Grandma Tockey would be so proud. Seriously. The best finished garment I’ve made to date.
There was one issue for me. The ease. I like a really fitted bodice. I thought I sized it down enough after doing my test dress only to find out when I put the zipper in, I had not. Here’s how it went: I put the zipper in (did an amazing job with my invisible zipper foot), cried a little because the fit was still off, took the zipper out, waited SIX hours and then put the zipper in again, taking up extra ease. Did a jig of joy! While this is not the preferred method of altering a dress, it should be done at the side seams, and it did cause a bit of puckering along the zipper line, it worked. The fit is fantastic with a capital FANTASTIC!!!
Absolutely making another of these! After my mommy vacation that is….ahhhh….