Last minute Christmas cookie bakers unite!!!
I’ve had a slow start on my Christmas spirit this year, but it’s looking like I’m going to finish off with a bang. Well, at least some very tasty sugar cookies for Santa, despite the boys telling me chocolate chip are his favorite.
Three years and three recipes – finally found the BEST!! Sugar Cookie recipe I’ve tasted, let alone made. Super simple. I whipped these up this afternoon/evening. Not even worried about frosting them, since they taste so good plain, but you certainly could. My favorite part is how well they held their shape when baked, no puffing and overly rounded edges. Perfection in a sugar cookie, if you will.
Here’s the recipe. Not adapted in the least, courtesy of Southern Living, December 2013 (I have quite an archive of old magazines).
Sugar Cookie Cutouts
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Stir together first 3 ingredients.
- Beat sugar and next two ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer, 2-3 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Divide dough into two portions. Flatten into disks, 1/2″ thick. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll on floured surface to 1/4″ thick, cut with large cutters, place 1″ apart on parchment lined sheets. Chill 30 minutes.
- Bake 10 minutes in 350 degree oven. Cool on sheet 10 minutes, then transfer to rack.
- Glaze as desired.
Makes 45 cookies.