Just before church yesterday, I was able to put the finishing touches, i.e. sleeves, on my Varda top. Woohoo! I love having a new make for church.
Varda was the last offering from Christine Haynes Patterns before she switched coasts and I loved it when it came out. Right up my alley! Simple top with nice style lines. In the late night tracing of the pattern, I traced off my usual CHP size, sewed it up all nice and tidy and wouldn’t you know it…. it was too small…. Meh. I should’ve known something was up when I had to wrestle it on my dress form, but I kept moving forward. Needless to say I have a very well sewn Varda in one size less than I need.
I set about to retracing the correct size and used the left over fabric from my beloved Kitty Dress. Except, I didn’t have enough for the sleeves. Ha! I was able to make the shirt 70%, ran to the fabric store last night, washed, dried and prepped the sleeves before calling it a night. Then, woke up nice and early to attach the sleeves. It was a whirlwind and yet another example of need to make a muslin and/or read the finished garment measurements!!
Overall I’m really happy with the Varda top and it’ll make a great workday staple (planning to wear it today again!). I liked the fitted mid section better on the size smaller, so probably a perfect Varda for me would be a size 6 bust with a size 4 waist. I’m already dreaming of the next version….